AuthenTec AES1610 Fingerprint Reader Software for Windows 7

NOTICE: This content discusses features in beta software that may change in the final release version.

UPDATE Nov 7, 2009: Windows 7 RTM installs the driver automatically.

See updates below.

AuthenTec AES1610 Windows 7’s improved support for Biometric Devices looks very promising, and I got a little excited thinking that I didn’t have to install any software to use the built-in fingerprint reader on my HP tx1220us. It isn’t as integrated as I thought it would be, and I ended up installing additional software to get it working.

One method involved using DigitalPersona Personal 3.1.0.3276, as I did in Windows Vista. I didn’t run into any problems installing the software, and it functioned just as well as before. Going this route will provide you with support for finger print sign-on at the application level. If you absolutely need that functionality, this is the software you want to install.

Biometric Devices control panel

What’s disappointing is seeing the following screen in the Biometric Devices control panel.

The selected fingerprint reader has no management application installed. This computer does not have a program that can be used to manage your fingerprint data with this fingerprint reader. To use the fingerprint reader, you need to get a program from your computer manufacturer (if the fingerprint reader is part of your computer) or the fingerprint reader manufacturer.

Okay, I just did that. You’re wrong Windows 7.

The second method involved installing Authentec’s software. I am assuming this is also beta software, so install it with caution.

AuthenTec | Win 7 Beta Download [32-bit version (19.9 MB)]
AuthenTec | Win 7 Beta Download [64-bit version (21.3 MB)]

Installing it is straightforward, but making it work is another thing. There’s no real way to understand what the installer did or what you need to do next. You won’t get a shortcut in your start menu, and you’ll have to start the finger print enrollment software manually. To do this, run the following program:

C:\Program Files\WIN7TS\TrueSuiteApplication.exe

AuthenTec TrueSuite 2.0 Fingerprint Reader: Enrollment.

This will let you use the finger print reader to log-on to Windows 7. I haven’t been able to use it for programs. Also, this method doesn’t make the “The selected fingerprint reader has no management application installed” message in the Biometric Devices control panel go away.

UPDATE: Windows 7 RC now allows users to run the AuthenTec True Suite Application using the Biometric Devices control panel by clicking “Manage your fingerprint data.”

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

Comments

isabel afonso
May 2, 2009 2:51 PM
isabel afonso excellent post
Alex
May 25, 2009 5:27 PM
Alex Carlo, have you had any luck running the Authentec software in Win7 RC? I installed the beta version provided on their website and it just crashes when I try to run Truesuiteapplication.exe.
Nickel
Jun 26, 2009 8:54 AM
Nickel Hello,I installed the software AuthenTec Win7 beta, and ran C:\Program Files\WIN7TS\TrueSuiteApplication.exe.The program needed me to swipe my finger over the fingerprint reader and displayed "three completed readings are needed".But the program did not store the data even I swiped for more than 100 times!Please help me ,thank you !
Gert Jan
Jul 10, 2009 2:07 PM
Gert Jan Hi, finally I found this after hours of searching!!

Great it works perfect for my HP Elitebook 8530p!! With W7 RC
l1nk
Jul 27, 2009 6:00 AM
l1nk I've got this working on WIndows 7 RC1 (Build 7100). However, when I begin enrolling fingerprints I've been asked to swipe it much more than 3 times. I got up to 65 (!!!) then finally gave up. Is this a bug in the software? or do they really think that they need 65+ scans?
I also did a test whereby I just randomly scanned fingerprints, and for some odd reason, these were accepted too. I have a feeling that the software isn't recording the scans :S
kino
Aug 8, 2009 8:43 PM
kino I have same problem with Nickel. Please help me, thank you!
brokul
Aug 28, 2009 6:40 AM
brokul hi. i just tested this soft with win7 beta, rc and naow rtm... it seems to work ok but sometimes i have to add password after swiping the finger... we have to wait for official soft from authentec or new package form MS. too bad that selers like hp or lenovo dont give a shit about fingerprint with win7... hope we get the good soft till october
Stevo
Sep 9, 2009 12:08 AM
Stevo I have the same problem as Nickel, l1nk and kino....all appears to be working, but keeps asking for additional scans. I got upto 101 and hit cancel.
Need help.
Markus
Sep 9, 2009 2:16 AM
Markus I am already using Seven final (RTM) and it runs directly without installing any additional software. The only problem is, that the device seems to be deactivated during hibernate/standby and not reactivate during wakeup. So after resuming i cannot login using the fingerprint sensor. Does anyone know a workarround?
Adrian
Oct 2, 2009 11:31 PM
Adrian I also have the same problem as Markus.

when I put the machine to sleep and close the lid...then resume...the fingerprint reader does not work.

interestingly, if I put it to sleep without closing the lid, then resume, the fingerprint reader continues to work.

and either way, after successful login, it works normally.

tried several work-arounds now. all failed.
netster007x
Oct 18, 2009 11:46 PM
netster007x Hey, I'm having same problem as Alex. Basically the program crashes whenever I try to run the referencedTrueSuiteApplication.exe. I'm on 64 bit windows 7. I tried the provided beta drivers, first with 64 bit, then tried 32 bit, neither is working. Windows control panel just says "no fingerprint manager application installed." Please help.
lionel
Oct 19, 2009 9:11 AM
lionel I got the same proble like "kino" with Nickel. Where can I find solution of this?
Barry
Oct 31, 2009 10:46 AM
Barry Open biometric devices in control panel, click properties,click change settings, go to power management tab. Untick: Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Click OK.
Fran
Dec 14, 2009 8:22 PM
Fran i have the same problem as many of the people posting, i keep swiping the finger on the reader and nothing...i'm runing windows 7 rc 7100. Please HELP!!!!!!!

thanx
Andre Sterf
Dec 23, 2009 10:19 AM
Andre Sterf Hi Carlo,

Have you manage to use make it work with password manager for other programs like Chrome?

Thanks!
Gman89
Jan 14, 2010 11:22 PM
Gman89 hey yall guys try this finger print reader http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=MK

Want to leave a comment?